Why Kids Menus?

Posted on   by   10 comments

kids menus

Saucepan Kids propose the removal of Kids Menus

I don’t know about you but if on the rare occasion we get a chance to go out for a bite to eat with the kids there seems to be a bog standard kids menu that’s offered to children in most restaurants. It’s assumed that all kids only like to eat chicken nuggets and chips, sausage and chips or pasta and tomato sauce! Yes, all children do like to eat this kind of food but if they had the opportunity to look at the actual menu, I’m sure that some would opt for a ‘real dish’ from there.

I understand that some children are fussy eaters but won’t they always be this way if the usual kids menu is their only option.

I really think that the default should be that there is NO kids menu and that kids at least get the chance to cast their eyes on the actual menu before the usual kids style dishes are offered.  I know from past experience, our kids would’ve liked the stew, or the curry or the vegetarian option only to be told that they don’t do children’s portions!! I don’t understand this, how hard can it be to serve the same dish on a smaller plate?  I understand that some dishes come into the restaurant pre-prepared or cannot easily be halved , for example, a whole fish, but surely this is the exception rather than the norm!

What do you think? Do you think Kids Menus should be a thing of the past?

Categories: BlogTags: ,

Author: Debbie

1. I know what you mean. Some of the options are pretty silly, not to mention usually blah! Then there are other restaurants where I wish I could order off the kids’ menu myself. At least portion-wise. It would be nice if everything came in two sizes. That would eliminate the kids’ menu and those with a smaller appetite wouldn’t have to order a gargantuan meal. That wouldn’t exactly benefit the restaurant though.

• admin says:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comment. Love your idea of there being a second menu just with smaller portions even for the adults! Although, I’m not sure that many restaurants would agree with that!!

Kind regards

2. Nancy says:

Debbie!!! I couldn’t agree more. From personal experience, as a child, we were expected to eat what was prepared for the family. My mother used to say, “This isn’t the Holiday Inn.” My sister now experiences the same dilema as you. Her son was raised on whatever she prepared for the family, so when they eat out, he has no interest in hot dogs as his dinner while mom and dad are enjoying eggplant parmesan. With that in mind, my kids menu for my diner is not on my regular menu. I priced items reasonably so that anyone can order from our regular menu and I am going to launch a menu for “kids of all ages.” This menu will offer the same items found on the standard menu, however it will have 1/2 sized portions for people with a lighter appetitite and children who want to eat what their parents eat.

• admin says:

Hi Nancy,

I’m delighted to hear that your diner is looking at adopting the idea that Chris suggested below. I’m sure that people will welcome the choice of half portions for themselves as well as opening up choices for their children!! Well done… Let’s hope that more restaurants follow suit!

Kind regards

3. Val says:

I totally agree although I’ve found a couple of Sligo restaurants who are willing to do half adult portions for children. Yeats Tavern and Henry’s Restaurant both in Drumcliffe do.

• admin says:

Thanks for the comment Val!

It’s great to hear that restaurants are starting to change and offer half portions to children instead of the default nasty kids menu everytime. I hope that more restaurants learn from these ones …

Kind regards

4. Rachel says:

I think the stuff they put on kids menus is completely disgusting! When I was a kid, I wanted to eat off of the adult menu almost every single time we went out to eat. My parents would just order two entrees and an extra plate for me. They would give me some of their food and even then we would end up taking some home.

Even now that I’m an adult, when I go out to eat with my parents, we usually order only 1 or 2 entrees and then split them. Most restaurants have no problem with it, and we just don’t eat at the few that have had an issue with it.

Thanks for the thought provoking post!

• admin says:

Thanks for the feedback Rachel, I’m delighted to hear that you found the post thought provoking!

I completely agree that you should just not give your business to the restaurants that aren’t more accommodating. Vote with our wallets!!

Kind regards

5. Lena Young says:

How about adding a list to the website with restaurants that serves 1/2 portions of proper food for kids. I’m sure there are a lot of us out there that would love to support these places.

Best regards,

Lena Young

• admin says:

Hi Lena,

Thanks for the comment. Brilliant idea, we’ll definitely look into implementing this! Stay tuned…

Kind regards