What You Can and Can’t Eat With Braces
By Ellen aged 14
A couple of months ago I had braces fitted at David McConville Specialist Orthodontics here in Sligo. Lots of my friends at school already had braces fitted so I felt that I kind of knew what to expect. If you’re new to braces, here’s what I’ve learned over the last few months.
Don’t panic! It’s not the end of the world. Lots of people have them and remember they’re going to be make your smile even better!
The braces actually only take about 20 minutes to be fitted, much quicker than I thought. They don’t hurt at all when they’re fitted. They will be slightly sore for a few hours after getting them on but I guess your mouth is getting used to them. They will be uncomfortable but not unbearable for a day or two. After a few days you won’t even know your wearing them.
They are actually pretty cool looking, think of them as an accessory
As a part of Saucepan Kids, I love my food and I was slightly nervous as I had heard that there was lots of foods that you couldn’t eat with braces.
Over the last while I have worked out what you can and can’t eat with braces fitted and I want to share that with you.
Foods to avoid with braces
You can eat and drink everything you normally would except …
- Don’t eat chewy toffee, chewing gum etc. as it will break your braces
- Don’t drink fizzy drinks e.g. Coke, as it rots your braces
- Getting braces doesn’t really change your diet you just have to be a little bit more careful
- Avoid any hard/chewy foods, watch out for very crusty bread
- Avoid nuts
- Be really careful of fruit you have to bite into like apples
- If wearing wax over a sensitive place on your brace, beware of hot drinks e.g. tea, as it will melt the wax
Final top tips for looking after your braces
- Brush after meals to avoid bad breath and food stuck in braces
- If you play sport, wear a gumshield that is fitted specially to your braces
- Bring a little brush everywhere, you don’t know when you might need it!
- Use the wax if the brackets are irritating your gums. If you run out of wax, dont’ be afraid to ask for more.
- Bonjela will become your new best friend!
Here’s a video of me talking about my experience of my braces.
Disclaimer : We received a discount on my braces in exchange for this blog post and video. I was more than happy to do it though as I wanted to make it easier for other kids my age who need to have braces fitted.