After school snacks
With the kids heading back to school next week, we have the dreaded thought of homework and helping the kids to settle down and focus on getting it done.
Now, I know that after school activities can often determine the schedule after school but homework must be a priority. I find in our house that the first thing I need to do to ensure that our three kids do their homework is feed them! Their blood sugar levels are often low when they get home (no matter what they had in their lunchbox). If you’re rushing homework to get out the door to soccer, ballet or music then here’s a list of after-school snacks that will give them the energy to get that homework done and keep them going until they get back from those extra curricular activities for their dinner.
All of these snacks take minutes to prepare and many are easily transported if you’re rushing straight from school to the activity.
- Toasted bagel (cinnamon and raisin is my lot’s favourite) with a little butter
- Bowl of nuts (unsalted almonds, cashews or pistachios)
- Toasted pitta bread with hummus (with carrot and cucumber sticks if you’re being very organised)
- Chickpea and pumpkin seed snack
- Banana and Oat thickie (like a smoothie but much more filling)
- Bowl of chopped up fruit (great to include banana for extra energy)
- A slice of refined sugar-free banana bread
- Oaty flapjack
- Cheese and crackers
- A small fruit scone
- Chunk of herby focaccia bread
- Small bowl of cereal (if they didn’t have one that morning)
- A nutty power bar
- Slice of toast with peanut butter or honey
- Fruity muffin
- Home popped popcorn (try to avoid the microwave popcorn)
- A slice of homemade soda bread
- Tasty and healthy carrot cupcake
- A couple of pancakes or a slice of french toast (these are really good if your kids have friends over)
- A hot cross bun
- Bowl of soup (great for cold wintery afternoons)
- A couple of corn fritters
- Couple of biscuits and a glass of milk (only on a Friday afternoon at our house!)
Do you have any good after school snacks that you’d recommend?