Have you ever thought about trying to grow some vegetables in your garden? You honestly don’t need to be an expert gardener, have ever watched a gardening programme or read a gardening book! You don’t need raised beds or any fancy equipment.
Here’s our 7 top tips for growing your own veg:
- Decide what you want to grow, it’s always a good idea to grow veg that you actually like and will eat
- Buy a packet of seeds (or plug plants for a cheeky head start)
- Check that they can be planted outside or do they need to be planted inside (technical term for this is propagation!)
- Check on the back of the seeds to see when is the best time of year to plant them
- Just dig over some soil, remove any stones and weeds (worth bribing the kids to help with stone collecting!)
- Plant the seeds or plants according to the instructions on the back
- Monitor for weeds and pests regularly
It’s really as simple as that… Why not give it a go, it’s great fun and the kids LOVE to get involved at every stage. We were lucky this year to have two raised beds from local company Quickcrop which were fantastic but not able to afford any more, we still have to dig over two beds for potatoes and broad beans, it’s back breaking but well worth it!
If you would like to know more about growing your own, GIY Ireland have lots of great hints and tips on their website and have local groups all over Ireland that meet regularly.